Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Yummy Delicous Reuben

     So I have made myself, and ate THREE gluten free reubens.  I mean, they're so good.  For those of you who don't know what a reuben is, it's corned beef, sauerkraut, any type of cheese, and 1000 island dressing.  Then you butter one side of the sandwich, then flip it onto a griddle, grill, or a pan, and butter the other side.  Then you have to keep checking the sandwich until one side is golden brown, then flip, and repeat.  That is how you make a reuben.
     And here is a picture.  This is a picture that my mom took.
     A reuben is from Poland, which is probably why I love them so much.  Just for the record, I'm part polish, and so is my dad.  We both LOVE polish food, especially reubens.  Yesterday, I made my dad and I a reuben, and he loved it.  I was so happy, but I'm not going to get off topic.   You can typically find these deli sandwiches in delis, polish restaurants, and pubs.  Yes I said pubs, because it's a classic sandwich that ALOT of people love.
     And If you are looking for a good reuben in Detroit, there's this GREAT polish place called Pelonia.  It's my family's favorite polish place.  I used to always get this GREAT dish with peanut butter and jelly.  They also have pretty good duck soup.  But this is the end of the post, and I'm looking forward to my next one.

1 comment:

  1. The reuben looked fantastic, and dad sure loved it! I'd like to see more actual step-by-step recipes on here so you can culminate in a cookbook. BTW, look up the history of the reuben. While it's not Polish (more likely German), no-one actually knows for sure who invented it. It probably comes from a man named Reuben, but which one isn't for sure. Tomorrow, maybe you can make guac to go with the spicy beef tacos.

    ReplyDelete